Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I've Made a Vow

As I left the grocery store today I made a vow. First I curse the person who made the little carts for  kids to use. If I had maybe one child with me and there were no other shoppers in the store it wouldn't be so bad. Alas, how do you tell a 2 year old he can't use one when you let his 4 year old sister? The carts aren't quiet and neither are kids. Add that to the freedom it gives them to roam and your asking for a headache. So here I am with my two  helpers  kiddos and we  meet a couple people on our journey. 
The first guy is is an older white haired gentlemen who is awesome. He stands and watches the kids adoringly and tousles Jonathans hair. I could tell he just wanted to pick him up and give him a hug. Smiles and tells me how cute they are. The kids were laughing and acting like they were in a race (so not the quietest), begging to get the next grocery item I picked up.
Now onto the next person. This woman was not as old as the gentleman but her actions were quite different. At one point the kids got in a traffic jam and blocked the isle. I told them to move so she could get through but a two year old doesn't move that fast when he's stuck. I got over to help and her actions spoke louder than words. She just stood there acting disgusted that the kids were in her way. No "hey sweetheart could you try to move". Just a look of disgust and impatience. They kids were not hurting anything they just happened to be stuck.
So here is my vow:      I'm not going to give children a demeaning look like they just broke a precious figurine. I know people have bad days but it's amazing how much it affects others when they take their frustrations or crankiness on others. I'm going to be like the older gentleman and look at children for what they are, angels. Angels with miniature race cars grocery carts. Now the kids didn't notice their reactions or I doubt they even care, but I care. I vow to be a HAPPY OLD LADY!!!

1 comment:

Heather said...

This comment isn't directed towards you. So please don't take it the wrong way. I just wanted to share the epiphany I had recently.

I was standing in line at Wal-mart the day after my dad died. I was in a haze of grief, exhaustion and probably a bit of craziness added in. I clearly remember thinking why are all these people going on with their lives as if nothing has happened when mine felt like it had stopped. It put things in perspective for me. We don't know what others are going through. We don't know why the crabby old lady was super crabby, or why the mom just yelled at her kids, or why the teenager accidentally bumps you and doesn't apologize. Maybe their dad just died. Maybe they have something in their life that is making them feel like the world should stop turning and they are only thinking of themselves. Or they could really just be a super cranky person all the time, haha.

This is one of the few positive things that came out of my dad's death. I am trying to be less quick to judge someone's behavior, even if they are being totally out of line, because I don't know what has gone on the other 23 hours and 59 minutes I didn't seen them that day of their life.

On another note, you are amazing for letting 1 of your kids have a mini cart let alone 2 at the same time. I hate those things. Rachel always ends up running into the back of my legs with it.

You are a great mom/person. I can't imagine you ever being a cranky old lady. You will be the old lady that takes the baby out of the busy mom with 6 kids with her at the store and help her to the car with her groceries.

Since I have now taken up a whole page of your comment section I thought I would add a link to a video I saw the other day on facebook. You might have already seen it. It is actually an add for a hospital, but really reaffirmed to me what I said above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDDWvj_q-o8