Monday, October 15, 2012

Venting session

First: Do you ever wish you could change a situation and you can't? The reason you can't is because it's not your situation to change but it still affects you and those in your family. I'm not perfect but I know that the decisions we make will affect our happiness. I really wish this situation would change, but it takes forgiveness which has to happen on both sides not just one.
Okay onto the next topic: Visiting teaching. I spoke with my Mom today and gained some great insight that I'd never thought about. I love to go visiting teaching but it's still a good  reminder. My Mom is a visiting teaching supervisor  in her ward and she says the numbers have dropped and the men are doing better. She mentioned that as we are in the temple we make covenants. We covenant to give of ourselves and to build up the kingdom and we can do that through our callings. So if you don't fulfill those callings you are breaking your covenant.  I never thought about it that way but it makes sense. So how can those who are temple recommend holders not fulfill their visiting teaching calling?
I love visiting teaching handouts. This is a poem I'm attaching to a bag of goodies for this month.


Halloween is coming with it's ghosts, ghouls and sweets.
And everyone is searching for the best of tricks and treats.
But take a moment now, and lend a listening ear,
For there is a special ghost, that always lingers near.
The Holy Ghost is a companion, who will guide you on your way.
He will be there for comfort, be it night or brightest day.
So listen for the promptings, of your quiet special friend.
He will always be there, On him you can depend.
Have a Happy Halloween,
Love your Visiting Teachers.

2 comments:

Jessica Jensen said...

Thanks for sharing the poem.. I will have to use it. And believe me I totally understand the situation thing. Maybe it is to teach us something...even when we really are trying to do things right. Hope the job change goes good. Glad you are able to stay in the valley.

Felicia said...

I've been absent from the blog world for the past couple months since my computer has been down, but I have Todd's laptop today so I'll use it to share my thoughts on visiting teaching.
I struggle with visiting teaching. I love getting to know the sisters, and have a testimony of the purpose, but I always worry that I'm bothering my sisters. My mom always dreads her VT's coming because it interrupts her day. It's just her personality and she doesn't NEED to sit and visit like most women do. I, however, love having my VT's come. I know my fear comes from how I was raised, but it's SO hard for me to get past it! I don't want to burden them at all. I have been praying for my sisters for several months, struggling to actually make an appointment and go visit them, but the Lord has provided me opportunities to get to know each one of them a little better and they have each blessed MY life more than I've helped them I'm sure. I need to be better about making appts and going into their homes, but I am also grateful for facebook, the Holy Ghost, and other sisters in the ward who have played a part in my visiting teaching experiences this month. The Lord will truly bless ANY effort we make. As we've become better friends, I feel less intimidated about making an appt. and going to their homes.