Sunday, July 22, 2012

TREK

Trek was great! I had a good time but I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the kids. Kevin and I had a great group of kids. We had six girls and four boys. Then one of our girls had to leave because her Grandpa had passed away. It's amazing how much you can love the kids over the course of a few days. I guess when you walk 20 miles together you get to know a lot about each other. Here are a few pictures.






We were the Golden Gobles since our color was gold. Each family made up a verse to The Hancart song. Here was the two verses we came up with.

They said that trek would be such fun,
but that's all lies because I'm done.
I'm chaffing and I really stink,
and I have blisters on my feet.

I know it sounds like we complain,
but our faith has never been the same.
We're thankful for all of the food,
and the sound technician dude.

I didn't think about it ahead of time to get their address's so I'll have to ask the leaders for them. I want to have a "family reunion" and take them to Angies to clean the kitchen sink.

I'll always remember the last night as we asked each of the kids their favorite part of trek and a girl said, "watching Ma and Pa after the sister pull." We didn't know she was watching us but I had told Kevin that it wasn't pulling the cart that made me cry it was seeing all the men with their hats off showing respect as we came to the end. She said she was listening to me tell him this and then he leaned over and said, "you look cute in that dress." She said she loved that and wanted to have a marriage like ours. I had no clue that something so little could be so big to someone. Most of these kids come from single parent homes and to see a mother and father love each other is rare.
I'm so thankful for the pioneers and all they went through so that I can have what I have today.

2 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

I'm so glad you were able to go on Trek! You & Kevin are great examples, I love that story. :)

Heather said...

What a great experience for you two! It is great that the youth got to see an example of a great marriage. (And we all need to see pictures of you in your dress :)...)