Monday, May 24, 2010

New goal

So my new years goals have been going great. I continue to floss every day and I'm actually enjoying it. (my dentist will be so proud) As for adding the recipes into the program, things were great till I found a years worth of meal plans that had recipes attached. I figure if I enter a couple a day that will be good. With those progressing I think it's time to set a new goal.
I have never liked the way my body has looked. I have always had that bad habit of comparing myself to the models on magazines. It has of course gotten worse as I have had kids. As I talk to my twin sister about this issue she gets mad at me. She says I stole all her metabolism in the womb. While I am grateful that I have lost the weight after my babies I still have issues.
I feel so ungrateful when I think how unhappy I am with my body. It's really amazing what our bodies can do. I have come to the conclusion that my problem is that I don't take care of this "temple" I've been blessed with. I go walking three days a week in the morning but that's not enough. When I was dancing in college I felt great and I think it was because I was working hard.
So I don't set myself up for disappointment I am going to start out small and work up. My first goal is to stretch morning and night. Even if it just a few minutes I know I will feel better.
I am thankful that I have a body that is healthy and can carry children. I need to start respecting it. Hopefully as I accomplish this goal I'll feel more comfortable in a swimming suit too...but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

8 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Thanks for revealing that...although I've always been a bit envious of your trim figure. :)
I think it's a great goal to develop more respect for the awesome gift of the body Heavenly Father has given you.

Ashley said...

hey i think you have a cute body, you and brenda are lucky to look the way you do with the kids you girls have had!take care ;)

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I went in to my OB for my yearly checkup and mentioned to her that I gained about 12 lbs over winter. That is odd to me. I have never done that before.
She said that I most likely am not going to go back to my pre-kids weight.
Kind of disappointing. I don't like the extra few that won't let go.

One thing that I tell myself when I start comparing myself to models and actresses..."Thank goodness, I am not them." I don't like starving myself. I don't like depriving myself and I am thankful that I can enjoy life without all of that!
I hope that helps!
BTW....you look great to me! Enjoy it!

Kristi Rowley said...

I agree, you look great. But I understand, we all feel differently about our bodies...It's a woman thing. I know I wiegh alot more than my ideal weight, but just doing the exercising and toning has helped how I carry myself/body. I hold my head higher and feel alot better about myself. I have a long way to go.
Good Job on Flossing!

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

Sandra, you look great! I do think it is important to take care of our bodies... I had very severe kidney problems when I was 19 and I know what it is like to not feel good and be able to do normal things each day.

But I am a very strong believer in "moderation in all things" and that includes sweets and goodies (my weakness). What I mean by that is, I think it is more than ok to have dish of ice cream once in awhile or a candy bar or something. The heaviest I've ever been is when I had a mental list of "Forbidden Foods" Foods I did not allow myself to eat -- ever! Well, all I could think about was those foods..... you know what, when they were in front of me, I would eat way too much of them.

Now I eat whatever I want in moderation. It's all about portion sizes. I can really be happy with one scoop of ice cream instead of 3! It just takes practice.

I also like to involve my children with exercise so I don't feel guilty taking or making the time away from them to do it. Walks together in good weather, or fun aerobic DVD's from the library during the winter (even my 2 year old enjoys that).

Good Luck! As far as feeling comfortable in a bathing suit -- I never have and I don't think I ever will.... go figure! (no pun intended :)

vesta said...

I stopped worrying about those magazines and celebs because everytime I see them, they are in a picture. Which is massively Photoshopped to the max! They can do anything to pictures, goodbye to wrinkles, age spots, cellulite. I was surprised in an undoctored photo to see how many moles Jessica Simpson has, everytime I see her, her skin looked flawless.
Anyway, the only people that look like that in real life spend hours on themselves, almost a full time job to be tanned, fit, haircuts every week, manis and pedis all the time, new clothes. You could do it but you would have no money and say goodbye to spending any time with your family.

Lisa said...

I totally know what your talking about! Good for you that you have set goals to feel better about yourself, I think feeling good helps us to be better mothers!

Ellen Oates said...

I think every girl, no matter what size, has this issue. I agree with you that we need to respect them because they are incredible things.