Sunday, October 30, 2011

She can be taught!

This will be sort of random but I'm super excited about what I learned today. I was craving pumpkin chocolate chip cookies today but unfortunately I didn't have canned pumpkin. I  called my neighbor to ask her if she had some. She did but she said she also had a small pumpkin I could use to make my own. Huh....I've never done that.....well we have pumpkins that we got in Missouri. She told me how to make my own pumpkin puree so I got to work.
First of all I had to ask which child would be willing to give up the pumpkin they decorated. Thankfully Jacob though cookies were more important than a decorated pumpkin on the doorstep. He claims they are all "his" cookies and said he would share.
While cleaning out the pumpkin I was going to throw the seeds away and Kevin mentioned I should roast them....yet another thing I've never tried. Who knew throwing salt on pumpkin seeds and baking them would be so tasty. The kids think they taste like popcorn.

Here is the pureed pumpkin, I'm so proud of myself :) I'll definitely be doing this with the other pumpkins instead of just chucking them.
Now for the finished product.....yummmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee
I wanted to also mention something funny that happened last night. It was the adult session of  Stake Conference. I was busy mowing the lawn and getting carrots our of the garden and Kevin was on the roof fixing some shingles. We didn't have time to eat before it was time to go. 
When we got home we hurried getting the kids bathed and in bed. After I was finished feeding the baby I came downstairs to find a candlelight dinner on the table. AWE So sweet! I love my hubby! Even a frozen burrito is romantic in candlelight he he. Well the mood lasted up until the kids started showing up one by one oohing and ahhing the candles. They were upset that they never got dinner with candlelight. While BriLynn was at the table she got a little to close and singed her hair. Burnt hair is pretty nasty smelling. We are just glad her whole head didn't catch fire.
So tonight we will have our family dinner over candlelight. I'll cross my fingers that no one gets hurt :)

3 comments:

Nat said...

Wow! You are brave! Pumpkin puree, pumpkin seeds and a candlelight dinner with small children. Wow. Good for you!

Kristi Rowley said...

That's something I've never tried either...pureeing my own pumpkin. We have roasted the seeds though. And what a thoughtful husband!

Shafferprincess said...

Hmm - you'll have to tell me how you did it - I LOVE pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I've never pureed pumpkin before. Was it hard?