Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Help...

First of all I wanted to post a picture I thought was funny. BriLynn is now six months....WOW!!! I love the look on her face, it's like she's thinking "help, my brothers are crazy!" Their faces make me laugh. The shirt she is wearing in the picture is one I made for Danika when she was a baby eight years ago. Sigh... Anyway, lately Andrew has been asking sooooooo many questions. It's mostly about the words we say. Like this morning when we were reading the scriptures about Alma and Nehor, he asked what the word "boldly" meant. After we mentioned it means he strongly defended himself (talking about Nehor when he is brought before Alma). Then he asks, "what does defend mean?" It seems like it continues on because the words we use to describe the other words he doesn't understand. Do you run into this problem? I mean really, how many words can you use to describe the word "persuade" or to describe "soft" to a child? The English vocabulary is so vast "whats vast?"

5 comments:

Ellen Oates said...

haha. That is so true. I have not thought about it because Halle is not at that age...yet. It is hard to describe some words. At least he is being a thinker and trying to understand. I give him two thumbs up for that!

Daughter of God said...

My kids do that, ask tons and tons of questions. It's a good thing! Keep answering them. Logan will ask question after question just like what you said and when I don't have an answer and neither does Ben I usually say, "that is a good question and someday you'll have to ask Heavenly Father that.' or 'Heavenly Father made it that way'. I figure that if he or Brin keep asking questions and I always answer them or help them find the answer, then when they get older they'll come to me instead of their friends when the questions matter the most. well that's my theory anyways. Does that make sence?
amy vandyke young

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I get tripped up all the time. Do I look like a walking dictionary? I am getting better with answers but sometimes I admit...I run for the dictionary!

Lena Baron said...

Yes, we have this same journey in our house. There is one word that Jakob understands, Google!:)

Nat said...

We deal with that, too. It is crazy how even though you know what the word means, it is almost impossible to explain it to a kid. We have those conversations every day!