Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bath time Etiquette


Bath time is an exhausting time at my house. It's nice when they are playing and having fun together but thats not always the case. Maybe you have heard the common bath time phrases, things like: MOM he spit in my eye, MOM he's pouring water out of the tub or MOM she pooped in the bath again.
I have the two youngest boys together and the two girls together.
My question is....at what age should they be bathing alone? I know Andrew likes to shower by himself. He says it's because he doesn't want to talk to anyone. Huh? We had a funny conversation about showering the other day:

Andrew: Can I just hurry and wash myself and get out.
Me: umm..ya thats what we do in the shower.
Andrew: I mean I don't want to play so I can quickly get out.
Me: No Andrew you are required to play for 10 minutes (blank stare, apparently he doesn't get sarcasm quite yet) I'm kidding Andrew, get out when you want to.

I don't mind, saves on the water bill. So at what age did your kids start bathing/showering by themselves?

5 comments:

Felicia said...

Mine have been bathing/showering by themselves for well over a year now, but it's mostly because of the mess they would always make splashing water all over the bathroom! Also, since I only have three, it's not hard to do it separately. My older two shower on their own, and Dillon takes a bath and calls me when he needs his hair washed.

I'm really taking a step back in time by starting over with a baby after 5 1/2 years...

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

ha ha ha... I love your post! Let's see.... Gabe has been showering on his own probably about 5 years or so (he's 12)
and Zoe (9)about a year or so (she still needs help rinsing her hair).

Maybe it just depends on the child and what they are ready to do and what they like. I know Zoe relishes the time alone without Kaia and Beck climbing all over her.... :)

Jessica said...

Thats a hard one for me too, Abby enjoys showering on her own and does pretty well at it, but its only been the last 6 months or so. Nathan will take a shower if forced but need help and he is six, Leah doesn't mind a shower but I have to basically stand on the side and wash her so its just easier to put her in the tub. Abby is really good about having a bath with her and washing her for me which is really nice and then Nate can bathe by himself, but he likes to play and my bathroom looks like a monsoon hit it before hes done!

Lisa said...

I say 8 but I have all boys and they couldn't care less who sees them "nakie"! I bet the story would be different if there were girls around though!

Shanell said...

Royce has been getting in, bathed, and out of the shower by himself for at least a year. Sometimes if I am in a mood to coddle I will smother him in lotion when he gets out, but most of the time he is on his own. I keep telling myself that I am helping him to master these important life skills- then I don't feel bad for making him throw himself in. =)
Hmmm. What else can I rationalize...?