Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tell me you've done it too

Tonight was wonderful. The bishopric and their wives were invited to the etiquette dinner the young women and young men put on. It was a nice "date" night with my hubby. I wasn't going to go but the second counselors wife said she had a babysitter and didn't want to be the only wife there, so I decided to go. Ummm..all the babysitters would be at the activity so what to do.... I ask my nine year old to babysit. When I asked her she was more than willing to watch the rest of the kids. Tell me you've done this, left your oldest to babysit. If so, how old were they when you left them? For how long?
I got a movie earlier for them and they watched that while I was gone. Things got started late so after the dinner I looked at the time and it had been an hour and a half. I called home and this is what she said, "I already put BriLynn to bed and the boys and I are playing a quiet game."
My joy was overflowing he he. When I got home she had told me she had the kids play a game to clean up the popcorn they had since she knew I wouldn't like seeing the mess when I got home. Can you say angel! Really do we need to call for a babysitter anymore when we have one at home? Sure she is young but she's responsible.

Tonight when Kevin had come home he mentioned he was going to say a few words before the dinner. I asked him what he was going to say, and he thought it would be something about being virtuous, lovely, of good report or praiseworthy. So those of you who know me, know I love to come up with funny quirky things. This is what I came up with. He embarrassed me by sharing it with the group.

The 14th article of faith

We believe in being polite, clean, proper
and keeping our mouths closed when we chew;
Indeed we may say that we follow an etiquette code
- We chew all things, we swallow all things,
we have tasted some nasty things
and hope to be able to digest all things.
If there is anything healthy, delicious,
scrumptious or good looking,
we seek after these things.

I wanted to add something like:
If there is anything nasty, allergic, or blackened we seek not for these things.

I could have also mentioned stuff about proper sounds at the table but I decided to steer clear of that one.

Happy etiquette everyone.

7 comments:

Felicia said...

I am the oldest, and I started tending my siblings when I was nine.

I leave my three older boys home while I run to the store (2 blocks away) all the time. When I'm gone, I have them play Wii, 'cause I know they will stay put!

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I leave Kaitlynd home with Ethan some times.
I figure they are old enough to walk home from school (if they were in school). If I were working, they would have to let themselves in and be home alone for a few hours.

Tina said...

Sandra, you are hilarious!! Your 14th article of faith cracked me up... and i love that Kevin shared it.

I don't remember when I started babysitting my siblings, I'd guess around 10 or so.. AWESOME that Danika can and is willing to watch them. I can't believe she's so grown up already!

Jessica said...

I started watching my siblings at 7 and even younger for quick trips, and babysitting for others at 10. Crazy! Anyway, the other day I ran an errand and left Abby with Nate and Leah. While I was gone they cleaned up the upstairs to surprise me. It was so sweet,I loved it.

Kristi Rowley said...

It makes them feel good when you leave them in charge. So they try harder to be more responsible. Brindley does better than any babysitter I have hired. Plus you don't have to tell them how to do certain things because they already know what needs to be done and how you like it done.

Nat said...

Oooh. I had this situation come up last weekend for a Scout Banquet. My oldest could have handled it, but let's face it--he's a boy!! So, I ended up calling a babysitter. I don't think I'll do that too many more times. He is very responsible. I'm just a chicken!!

Heather K. said...

Haha, I love that! Holy cow, I can't believe how responsible Danika is! When Olivia is motherly towards Alyson I love it too, however she isn't to the stage of cleaning up and putting Alyson to bed. Someday...