Thursday, February 17, 2011

Just Reminiscing

Tonight I was on YouTube (Kevin was gone playing tennis) so I was watching some clips from some of the shows I loved as a kid. Most of the shows I love are about dancing. I really miss dancing. They were just clips but I was a bit surprised at some of the content. I guess as a kid I didn't think much about it but now as a parent I'm more aware. I remember Kevin and I getting War Games to watch. We both remember watching it as kids. We turned it off after five minutes because of the language and threw it away (we had turned in coupons from a cereal box so we didn't pay anything for it).
Have you done that? Looked back at things you watched as a kid and think...man I'm not letting my kids watch that. It scares me for what is to come. What are my kids going to be watching. PG movies aren't like the PG movies I watched growing up. I'm positive things aren't going to get better either. Just turning on the TV and flipping through channels there are so many suggestive things. I guess all I can do is teach them and hope that they choose whats right.

4 comments:

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

I know how you feel. We have done this so many times. I am surprised at the content in some of the "old" movies. Like "Goonies", "Top Gun", and "Footloose" are some that come to my mind. They are TERRIBLE.

Some people argue that if we didn't notice the bad parts when we were little, then our kids won't either -- I say NO WAY. Bad is bad.

Nat said...

Oh man! I know exactly how you feel! When we had Netflix, we got movies like The Karate Kid and Back To The Future, and I didn't realize how bad they were until I let my boys watch them!

Lena Baron said...

That's So funny! I was going to list the same shows the others listed! Goonies was my first thought. I wonder what the difference is betwen us and our kids and the day in age. It's not like our parents weren't as "good" as us. It makes me ponder...

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

There are way to many things that I watched/did as a kid that are not allowed in my home!