Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Another Stratagy

Kevin and I always talk about what we can do to improve our parenting skills. We have done a behavior jar and other things but we wanted something that would reward the individual child for their accomplishments. I turned on the TV one morning last week and watched about the Childrens Miricle Music on Studio 5. If your interested, watch the video. Excuse the little ad at the beginning. Oh don't forget to turn the music off at the bottom.

We thought we would try it, we made up our own chart and picked music. They get really excited to finish before the music is done which is great. We are only a few days into it and working out the kinks but hopefully it works. It's not that we ever had a hard time with the kids before, but we would have to ask them three or four times before they changed. Now we just say it's time and turn on the music and watch them scatter. Are their certain things your family does to make getting ready in the morning or night easier? Or getting them to do chores?

9 comments:

Daughter of God said...

I saw that too! I want to start it. there is a lady that just moved into our ward, she does the same things. When her and her husband left for a week her mom came to watch the kids. She told her all she had to do was put the CD in after breakfast and it was magic. Her mom told us that it was. she didn't have to do a thing or say a thing to the kids. they knew what to do and they just did it! Now that would be the life right? Let me know how it keeps going!

Jessica said...

So did you buy the CD, or are you using your own music? It sounds very interesting. Let me know how is goes, and I ma very interested! I would love to get something done in my house without having to ask ten times. Good Luck, and keep me posted!

Nat said...

Hmmm...we're definitely going to have to try that one out! Thanks for sharing!

Kristi Rowley said...

I saw that also and have the same issue with my girls. I heard about it a few years ago and thought about trying it then, but didn't. I was thinking of actually looking into this time. Let me know how it goes.

Becky said...

Here's a couple of books out there that we have read. So far working out great. Positive Discipline (we have the birth to 3 years one) and Raising Self Reliant Children in a Self Indulgence World. They authors are from the same family. You can find it on Amazon.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

what I great idea! I will have to try it out.
I currently practice the "ask then yell", technique.

Tina said...

I am really interested. I really can see it working. I am going to give it a try. The convention sounds wonderful too. Too bad I am busy for part of the day.

Thanks for sharing.

Company of 5 said...

I definately need to try this for chore time. I'm not consistent in remembering the chores and don't have a smooth system, so they don't do them.

Lena Baron said...

We use the Accountable Kids Program www.AccountableKids.com. It works well! But I want to look into this idea too.