Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oh boy!!!

On Wednesday morning I woke up and started making breakfast. I heard what sounded like water running downstairs. When I walked into the basement my feet got soaked. Our basement had flooded ahhhh. My first thought was "one of the kids left the water running in the sink" But I found that it was coming from the washer. After further investigation we found that the culprit was the hose, it had a hole in it. We moved everything (thankfully it only hit one room) so we moved everything into the other. Kevin sucked up as much water as he could with his shop vac but we had to call someone. ARS came and took the padding underneath, sucked up as much water as they could and put fans down. Now normally in this situation I would be upset and cranky about it, but after watching what my children did in this situation I figure I once again need to become as a child. They:
1. Laughed when their feet would squeak on the floor after being wet
2. Made a puppet show behind the mattresses that we put in the living room.
3. Watched enthusiastically as the carpet move up and down from the fans.
Hopefully our basement will be back to normal by Saturday. As for now I'm off to do my puppet show!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Ugh, we know how flooded basements can ruin your day!

We got flooded in our basement from a broken water main. Just moved into the house less than 3 months before!

Glad you got the help you needed. Good luck with avoiding mold!!

overlyactive said...

Kids make everything more interesting! So sorry, at least it wasn't coming in from outside which happens to many of our neighbors because of the high water table. There is always something to be grateful for.

Nat said...

Kids are great at staying optimistic!

Tina said...

Wow! No fun. Kids sure do have a way of seeing things, don't they. Good for them!
Spencer was last weighed 2 weeks ago. He was 8lbs. 4 oz. then. I'd guess a little over 9 lbs. now.

LeeAnne said...

gotta love how kids are so quick to turn lemons into lemonade! when i lived in NJ we had actually a lot of problems with our basement flooding (but that was due to bad drainage after heavy rainfall- we didn't anything of high value down there, though, it was mainly storage and our TV room, and the TV was kept a good 4 feet above the floor)- we'd splash around, make paper boats, and laugh at how our cats puzzled over the 3 inches of water and tried to walk through it.

LeeAnne said...

My mom didn't love the basement floods of course :)

Kellee said...

Way to enjoy the moment with the kids! Sorry it happened though.

Sharane Pitts said...

Yikes! Glad the water didn't do too much damage. Hope it all turns out ok. Kids are the best at making fun out of ANYTHING! Love it!
The pic of Danika and BriLynn is so cute!

-Sharane :)

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

How true! We need to not freak out and just enjoy the good that comes from it! What a great lesson.

Although, I am sorry that it happened!

Anonymous said...

That sucks!

The Durham Family said...

I am SO SORRY! What a good attitude you have! Blessings will come - they always do with trials right?

Felicia said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. Our basement is unfinished so even though our pipe is currently leaking...at least it's not ruining anything!