Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Kids Dates

Kevin and I (having five kids) wondered how to make one on one time with each child. We have, in the past, done Mommy and Daddy dates if the kids got 10 mommy and daddy bucks but, we decided this wasn't something they needed to earn. So we took a calendar and set four times a year for each child to have a "date" with Mommy, Daddy, or both. The child gets to choose what the activity is. One of the four is usually a Jazz game. It's good to get one on one talking time with them there and back. It's become a tradition to get ice cream there, which is probably the kids favorite part.
It can be a trip to the park to hang out, getting an ice cream or getting four tokens to play at the Funpark. The dates (besides the Jazz dates) usually only cost 1.00.
Tonight was Jacobs date. He chose to get a hamburger with Daddy (this is after dinner mind you). So off to Wendy's they went to get a hamburger from their dollar menu. Kevin said he scarfed it....I believe he will be the one to eat us out of house and home he he.

6 comments:

Sandra said...

Kevin shared a conversation they had and I thought it was funny.
Kevin: So you want to go to Wendy's
Jacob: No I want to go today.
It made me laugh, I think he thought Kevin was saying Wednesday.

Lisa said...

Such a good idea, I think I will start doing that as well, thanks for sharing!

Nat said...

What a great idea! I always like Wendy's on Wednesdays, too! :)

Lena Baron said...

SOO FUN! We'll do that with the kids too when they're a bit older. LOVE IT!

MusicTrain said...

Great Idea. If it's not scheduled it won't happen, that happens at this house so you have inspired me to get this scheduled! Thanks Sandra

Inspired said...

What a great idea! You are such a good mom and I love how you are so much about family time!