Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Food Storage

So Kevin and I went a little crazy last night. We took all five kids with us to Mayces to do some food storage shopping. You can't put much in those car carts! We heaped as much as we could into them and then Kevin went back after we put the kids to bed. We have been feeling more of a push lately to become more prepared. Any of you feel the same? We have always known that it was important, we have been told time and time again to do it. Maybe it's the economy scaring us but we have felt we need to do more.
We bought this wheat grinder a couple months ago and I've been having fun using the wheat from our food storage. The kids also like to watch it. We also got a manual one so if we didn't have power we could still grind wheat. (hopefully we never have to but you never know). We bought a generator last year but in an emergency it will only last as long as we have gasoline. We went on the provident living website and it says we need 2100lbs of wheat and other grains to have a year supply WOW...that's a lot. Of course we put down seven people (they count that as seven adults) I thought that on that site it would say how much water you would need also but it doesn't. Do any of you know?
I told Kevin we should just buy some chickens and a cow. Then we could have our own eggs and milk if something happend HA HA.

10 comments:

Sharane said...

The CoW and ChiCkens aren't SuCh a BaD idea! CaN YoU ImaGiNe a CoW GraZiNg in YouR BacKyArD? LOL
We HaVe FeLt the UrGenCy to Be MoRe PrepaRed AlSo. I don't KnOw a SpEcific amount for the WaTeR, you could GoogLe it. We Try to Stay Stocked on Bottled WaTeR, but We need To Get some Big Containers to Store LarGer Amounts in. WheRe DiD YoU purchase your Generator?

Felicia said...

We have been stocking up as well. Our bishopric keeps saying that "they can't get it off their minds..."

The amount of grains you need is INSANE! I decided to store two 5 gallon buckets of each of white flour, wheat, macaroni, powdered milk, oats, rice, sugar, and beans. Now that I have all my buckets full, I'm going to start going to the cannery each month and to get cans since they will store under my bed.

Storing enough water is hard. I don't know the exact amount, I just know it's a LOT. We have one 55 gallon drum and a pump (now I need to fill it), and I'm going to buy a $100 water filter, since we are surrounded by mountain water where we live. I also have 2 liter bottles and other containers full, but it's just not enough. In a disaster you *might* be able to count on the water in your water heater as well.

We got that same wheat grinder for Christmas so I've been using my wheat as well.

Shantel said...

This has been a big deal for Joel and I too. We have just really felt pushed. I would like to know where you got your wheat grinder along with your recipe for bread. I know you make good bread Sandra - so cough it up!!! Kidding. Kind-of. ;0)I need a good recipe.
For water. You need to have 1 gallon per person per day. That would also cover washing, and cooking - not just drinking.

Lena Baron said...

That is very interesting... interesting how it's on your minds too. Not really though I guess, it's not knew. But anyway, yes! It's been on my mind. I need to figure out how to act upon it though. We don't have any storage space. But I need to make some. I want to do out 72 hour kits too. Time to DO THIS!!! Not just talk the talk! Thanks for the example!!!

Lena Baron said...

BTW: My sister in law and I have seriously considered your chicken and cow idea... Still pondering. I think I can figure out how to go without the dairy and meat enough to get by though....

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I like the chicken and cow idea also! It almost seems more practical! Good luck on the water...I have no idea.

The Mann Clann said...

Make sure you share your wheat recipies with us! We have a year's supply and I just find myself using it primarily for bread.

Becky said...

We've been feeling the same way too. We're working on getting more. First I need more storage.

overlyactive said...

I loved the article in the Ensign this month. There is some great advice here. I love the prophets council." Many more people could ride out the storm-tossed waves in their economic lives if they had their...supply of food...and were debt-free. Today we find that many have followed this counsel in reverse: they have at least a year's supply of debt and are food-free."

Kellee said...

We've been working on food storage too! Water amount is 1 gal per day but they also say only store 2 weeks worth. That always bothers me...what happens after 2 weeks and you still need water?