Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Yet another Stratagy

Before I begin HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY!!! We started our day off with some green waffles. I couldn't bring myself to dye the milk green this year, I just can't drink it. Anyway, here is another parenting strategy that Kevin and I are trying. We wanted the kids to do more beyond their chores. We had a Behavior jar but it would reward everyone (I think I mentioned that before). Well we now have Mommy and Daddy Bucks. We will give them one when they do something above and beyond what they are expected. This is where we will hold their bucks. No Andrew and Luke haven't earned those they were just posing for the picture. It wasn't the greatest idea since they didn't want to give them back. This is the store. They can use their mommy daddy bucks for toys or a certificate for a date with Mom and Dad. We will supply the store with things the kids have asked for. Andrew has been asking for a watch so I got one at the dollar store and he will have to earn it. Here is an up close picture of the $. Sorry it's not the greatest picture. We hope that this helps with their behavior (not that it's really bad but it could improve) and it will also help them learn the value of money/math skills. It can also teach them to work hard for things they want. We'll cross our fingers that it works.
I'm off to print up shamrocks for a game Danika wants to play. You hide a bunch around the house but hide a leprechaun on one. The one who finds the leprechaun looses because as everyone knows they enjoy mischief. Happy St. Patricks Day!!!

6 comments:

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I need to start something. I am just not very good at following through. I wish it were easier to get kids to do their part. It would sure help me out.

Lena Baron said...

VERY Cute! That is much like our Accountable Kid's program that we follow. We call them Bonus Bucks. That's how Jakob earns his BOM Action Figures. It works great! I'm impressed with you and Kevin and you're Great parenting skills!! Great examples! Thanks!!!!

Tina said...

We have a "mom store" full of dollar store stuff. Bridget has to earn quarters to get stuff from it. Kind of similar, I guess.
Cute dollars though!!
My friend has another idea on her blog that I've been thinking of trying... (http://drewandamanda.blogspot.com/2009/02/sushi-choresand-binkies.html)

Tyler Vance said...

I love this idea! We keep track of points and they know how many points each activity they can earn costs. With smaller kids they need to actually see the reward I think. I am a big fan of rewarding the positive behaviors strongly.

Heather K. said...

That's such a great idea. I need to start doing something like that for Olivia. She loves stickers so I was going to maybe do a sticker chart for her and once she reached a certain spot she could get something special.

I would love to help you make bows! Just give me a call and I can let you know what my schedule is like and you can come up with when is good for you and your friend (and whoever else you want to come over). So give me a call! If you dont remember my # let me know and I'll call you. ;)

Nat said...

Wow! You're ambitious! I think it is a great idea to reward the positive behavior. I should do better with that.