Saturday, March 15, 2008

States or cities mentioned in Songs

Kevin and I were talking last night about how many songs have states or cities mentioned in them. I wanted to make a list of the ones we knew, so if you can add to the list please do.

California- California knows how to party but I don't know who sings it)
Colorado- Rocky Mtn. High....Colorado (Jon Denver)
Nevada- Elvis- Viva Las Vegas
Alabama- Sweet home Alabama (Lynyrd Skinyrd)
Oklahoma- Uhhh.. Oklahoma.:)
New York- New York New York (Frank Synatra)
Florida- Will Smith sings that Miami song
Tennessee- Tennessee Waltz
Georgia- Georgia on my mind (Ray Charles)
Ohio- Cleavland Rocks (Presidents of the USA)
Arkansas- Little rock
Hawaii- Honolulu lulu
Mississippi- Louisiana Woman Mississippi Man
Louisiana- See above
Missouri- Meet me in St. Louis
Utah- Salt Lake City (Beach Boys)
Arizona- There is no Arizona (a country song)
Montana- Meet me in Montana (Marie Osmond and Dan Something)
Michigan- Detroit rocks city (Kiss)

I called my sisters and there were a few I hadn't heard before like the SLC one, but man what a list (19 States). Let me know if you can think of more! You would think I had nothing else better to do with my time.

3 comments:

Raelynn said...

California knows how to party is by 2pac
and There is No Arizona is by Jamie Oneil
And it's Miami by Will Smith!
Come on you should know!
I'll talk with Joel and see what songs he knows with states in them.

Tina said...

There are tons of songs about California. This is interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_about_California

Also, I poked around on the iTunes store and found A LOT, here are a few examples:

"Texas" - George Strait
"Mississippi Girl" - Faith Hill
"Kentucky Rain" - Elvis
"The Devil Went Down to Georgia" - The Charlie Daniels Band
"Hot Time in Delaware" - Saves the Day

There was something for every state I typed in. I bet you could find something for all 50 states. Crazy! I never realized there were so many.

Kellee said...

"In My Mind, I'm Going to Carolina" by James Taylor. He's a NC native!